Squirrel Nut Zippers is a funny neo swing band from the United States. In the late 90’s, I heard a song in a famous TV show in Turkey. It is very funny and enjoyable music that everybody liked it. After I met Squirrel Nut Zippers’ song named in Hell, I also met with their impressive music. In the middle of the 90’s, neo swing was very popular. This era was called as Swing Revival in world music stage. There were many groups and performers that some of rockabilly performers like Brian Setzer also performed neo swing. It is also possible to find neo swing with electronic elements. Their style is eclectic fusion of blues, jazz, 30’s swing, klezmer and gypsy music. Squirrel Nut Zippers created their unique sound with fusion of classic and modern elements.
Squirrel Nut Zippers formed by James Mathus, Katharine Whalen, Chris Phillips, Don Raleigh and Ken Mosher in 1993. Although some members were replaced with the new ones, the band’s unique sound has never changed. We only remember several groups of artist from Swing Revival era and Squirrel Nut Zippers is one of them. Musical diversity is very important to have an international recognition. There were many bands played the same music without any diversity and variety. The band’s musicality and musical diversity make the band well known and world-class band in neo swing genre. Instrumental variety is also very good that you could hear banjo, ukulele, trumpet, and canjo with modern jazz instruments like trombone, violin, double bass, drum, saxophone, and piano. Canjo is very interesting instrument that you could make it yourself. Google it!
Squirrel Nut Zippers have six studio albums, one best of album and one live album. Their last album was released in 2000. After Swing Revival era finished, they didn’t make any album due to members pursued another projects or solo career. Some of the member released their solo albums during this period. Please find discography of the band and some of my suggestions.
- The Inevitable (1995) is a successful debut album.
- Hot (1996) is their well know album that it is my favorite. Do not lose the extremely suggested album. Hell is the best song in the album. Put a Lid on It, Memphis Exorcism and Princess Nez are my favorite songs.
- Sold Out (1997) is very good album that it is highly suggested album. Bedlam Ballroom and Palling with Al songs are my favorites.
- Roasted Right (1997) it is an EP.
- Perennial Favorites (1998) is my other favorite album. Ghost Of Stephen Foster is the best song. Fat Cat Keeps Getting Fatter, Trou Macacq, Suits Are Picking up the Bill and Soon are my favorite songs.
- Christmas Caravan (1998)
- Bedlam Ballroom (2000) is the last studio album that its sound resembles a bit Rock n Roll. Bedlam Ballroom, Baby Wants A Diamond Ring, and Do It This A Way are my favorites.
- The Best of Squirrel Nut Zippers (2002)
- Lost at Sea (2009) is a live album.
Squirrel Nut Zippers is a funny swing band that their songs make me feel very good. I expect a new album from them. Maybe they could start the second Swing Revival era. You could visit their website to find more materials about them. You also could buy their albums. Special thanks to Chris that he told me I could use their videos on my blog.
Bye for now!